Northwoods Homeless Shelters is an emergency shelter program that can provide up to 90 days of stay for homeless families and individuals. Residents have a safe, clean place to stay while they, with staff assistance, address the issues that were causing homelessness.
Our program has three units: two family units and one efficiency apartment. Each unit has its own furnished kitchen, living areas, bedrooms and bathroom.
There is a washer and dryer in the duplex that is shared by both units. The Hope House in Luck has a washer and dryer that the family can use. Each unit is fully furnished and food, hygiene products, paper products, cleaning and laundry products are provided.
Northwoods Homeless Shelters has one unit of transitional housing that can provide long-term housing for those residents of our emergency shelter program that have long-term issues that are creating a homeless situation for the family.
Families accepted into this program must have successfully completed our emergency shelter program. The transitional housing unit is fully furnished. There is a washer and dryer for the family’s use.
Case management is provided for each family that resides in our shelters. Our director assists residents in developing an individualized Plan for Self-Sufficiency that enables them to secure employment and permanent housing.
If necessary, residents are provided with mental and medical health referrals, parenting classes, support groups, and other referrals that will help them overcome the issues that caused their homelessness and help them to live with independence and dignity.
Who We Help
- A family has lost their home due to a fire and no extended family members live close by.
- A single parent loses his job due to a debilitating illness. He is waiting for his Social Security benefits so he can pay for housing and living expenses.
- A pregnant 18-year-old is kicked out of her family’s home.
- A two-parent family is evicted from their home due to a lost job.
We have provided shelter and services to these families and individuals…and many more with similar circumstances. Emergency shelter and services provided by Northwoods is free of charge to those in need.
Through donations and grant funding we are able to provide the following assistance to the residents who reside in our shelters and are participating in our program:
- Food, hygiene packs, cleaning supplies, and laundry detergent
- Diapers, wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex
- Gas cards
- Phone cards
- Medical and dental assistance
- Prescription and over-the-counter medication assistance
- Some car repair
- AODA assessment assistance
- Education funding
- Work clothes
- School supplies
- Driver’s license and Wisconsin ID
- Utility assistance
- Rent assistance
We also supply starter kits of many of the disposable items, such as cleaning supplies and paper products, when our residents leave to move into permanent housing of their own. Northwoods also has some furniture available to furnish their homes when they leave our program.